Thursday, May 29, 2014

28mm Rhodesian African Rifles - Eureka Miniatures

Yet more for the African Bush....

I picked these up on whim at Salute having had my interested reignited by the guys at Spectre's forth coming Kickstarter campaign (which is now standing at 300% funded) and finding that spare changes in your pocket that your can't possibly go home with as the kids will only pinch it for dinner money or the wife to pay the milkman or window cleaner...

It's quite worrying how one bag of figures can lead you down the painting path that has lasted 3 months and over 150 figures - It's true wargaming is addictive.


The Rhodesian African Rifles (RAR) were one of the key government units of the Rhodesian Bush War. Operating in the Fireforce role, troops could be both heli- and par-borne in their actions against ZIPRA and ZANLA insurgents.

My plan is to use them as regular forces in the nation of Zikanga.


These are some of the finest sculpts I have seen in a long time, great poses and a real eye for the detail in the uniforms and webbing, I shall definately be picking up more packs from Eureka.

18 comments:

  1. Great paint job, in my opinion Eureka's 28mm figures are some of the best sculpts out there its a shame there not easier to get in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its a rare order abroad for me to... But truely great sculpts

      Delete
    2. It helps that Nic (owner) is a bl00dy decent bloke too. Can you not get most Eureka stuff from Fighting 15s in the UK?

      Delete
    3. You can but a number of the packs are a 6-8 week wait. So direct works better if you can't wait.
      Cheers
      Stu

      Delete
  2. I really like these and become more and more tempted every time I see them; it makes me think of the Wild Geese!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me to Michael
      Get yer lovely arses out of here! I'm just holdin' the fort! ...

      Delete
    2. That made me chuckle, I'm going to have to dig out my copy for this afternoon's viewing!

      Delete
  3. Stu-nice work on these. The OD's have a nice worn look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just need to get them on the table now...

      Delete
  4. Very nice painting job. I really like this figures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bartek, I understand there is a further pack in the offing :-)

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Just need to get them on the table now Phil.

      Delete
  6. Love this paint job, beautiful troops!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting is that these RAR figures can be used in the Congo wars of the late 80s and 90s. Good set of books have just come out from 30 degrees south. 1 Zimbabwe Commando battalion was used in the congo and they used exactly the same kit as the RAR, kit, FNs, MAGs and same cammo by then. I remember seeing TV footage of them deploying in the Congo and I thought it was the RAR. Goose bumps! All the best John Hop

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting is that these RAR figures can be used in the Congo wars of the late 80s and 90s. Good set of books have just come out from 30 degrees south. 1 Zimbabwe Commando battalion was used in the congo and they used exactly the same kit as the RAR, kit, FNs, MAGs and same cammo by then. I remember seeing TV footage of them deploying in the Congo and I thought it was the RAR. Goose bumps! All the best John Hop

    ReplyDelete